CHRISTOPHER C. BOTTA is the Managing Partner of the law firm of Botta Angeli, LLC. He is an experienced trial attorney specializing in the defense of civil litigation against private clients and public entities in the States of New Jersey and New York. He also handles commercial transactions and litigation in State and Federal Court, and counsels and represents municipal entities and public bodies in various legal capacities in the State of New Jersey. He has successfully argued appeals before the New Jersey and New York Appellate Divisions, as well as the New Jersey Supreme Court. Mr. Botta has specific expertise in employment litigation, including defense of claims brought under the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, CEPA (Whistleblower Act), hostile work environment, failure to promote and civil rights violations, and has managed numerous jury trials to conclusion in the defense of corporate clients and public entities and their employees. He also counsels insurance company clients on first party and third party coverage litigation and analysis.
Mr. Botta also counsels individuals in real estate transactions, estate planning, elder law, family law and corporate formations. He has achieved the top Martindale-Hubbell rating of "AV", which recognizes attorneys with the highest level of skill and integrity, and is a member of the Bergen County Bar Association.
Mr. Botta also serves “Of Counsel” to Rubinton & Associates, P.A., an insurance defense law firm based in Hollywood, Florida for handling of insurance defense claims in New Jersey and New York.
Mr. Botta is a life-long resident of Bergen County. He served as Mayor of the Borough of Ramsey from 2007-2014, and is involved with various civic, community and recreational endeavors in Ramsey and Bergen County.
Personal and Professional Achievements
- Mayor, Borough of Ramsey, 2007-2014.
- Member, Planning Board, Borough of Ramsey, 2007-2014.
- Chairman, Borough of Ramsey Board of Public Works, 2007-2014.
- Councilman, Borough of Ramsey, 2001-2006.
- Municipal Prosecutor, Pascack Joint Municipal Court, 2011-2019.
- Municipal Prosecutor, Borough of Upper Saddle River, 2019-present.
- Planning Board Attorney, Borough of Allendale, 2016-present.
- Zoning Board Attorney, Township of Wyckoff, 2012.
- Labor Counsel, Fort Lee Public Library & Borough of Moonachie.
- Condemnation Commissioner appointed by Superior Court of New Jersey.
- Recipient, Ann Klein Advocate Award, 2014.
- President, Ramsey Golf & Country Club, 2004-2006.
- President, Ramsey Housing, Inc.
- General Counsel, New Jersey Safety Institute, Inc.
- Director, Fordham University School of Law Alumni Association, New Jersey Chapter.
- Youth Ice Hockey, Basketball and Soccer Coach, Ramsey.
- Member, Knights of Columbus, Ramsey.
- Bergen Catholic High School, Oradell, NJ (1985).
- College of The Holy Cross, Worcester, MA; Bachelor of Arts (1989).
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, NY; Juris Doctor (1992).
- Law Secretary to the Hon. Peter F. Boggia, J.S.C., Superior Court of New Jersey (Bergen County), 1992-1993.
- New Jersey (1992); New York (1993); District of Columbia (1994).
- United States District Court for the State of New Jersey (1992).
- United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern District of NY (1993).
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals (2003).
Presentations at Professional Development Seminars
- Lecturer and Moderator: "Controlling Public Entity Liability Claims" New Jersey League of Municipalities, Annual Convention (2007, 2009 & 2011).
- Lecturer and Moderator: "Controlling Workers Compensation Claims" New Jersey League of Municipalities, Annual Convention (2008 & 2010).
- Lecturer: “Risk Management for Police Executives” New Jersey State Police Chiefs Association/NJ Municipal Excess Liability Fund (2009 & 2011).
- Lecturer: “Class Action Lawsuits” New Jersey League of Municipalities, Professional Development Program (2010).
- Lecturer and Moderator: “Strategies for Controlling Health Benefit Costs” New Jersey League of Municipalities, Annual Convention (2010).
- Lecturer and Moderator: "Implementing Effective Risk Management", New Jersey League of Municipalities, Annual Convention (2013 & 2014).
- Lecturer, Introduction to Local Government Law, NJ Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2014).
- Lecturer: “DWI Updates”, NJ Association for Justice, Boardwalk Seminar (2019).
- Lecturer: “The New Jersey Tort Claims Act - Overview and Recent Developments”, NJ Counties Excess Joint Insurance Fund, Best Practices Workshop (2019).
- Lecturer: “Emerging Trends & Title 59 in the Age of COVID-19”, NJ Counties Excess Joint Insurance Fund, Best Practices Workshop (2020).
- Alberto DeLaCruz vs. Borough of Hillsdale, et al, 183 N.J. 149 (2005).
- Fairway Dodge, LLC v. Decker Dodge, Inc., 191 N.J. 460 (2007).